located on Liberty Island in New York Harbor (originally known as Bedloe Island)
The face of the Statue of Liberty was modeled on the face of Charlotte Bartholdi, the mother of designer Frédéric-Auguste Bartholdi. The sculptor’s girlfriend, Jeanne-Emilie, was the model for the statue’s arms and body.
Gustave Eiffel, who later built the Eiffel Tower, built the Statue of Libertystatue’s metal skeleton. Constructed entirely in France, the statue was packed in 214 cases for its journey to the United States.
When it was decided that the French would give a gift to the United States in honor of the 100th anniversary of our independence, Bartholdi sailed to New York to search for a suitable site. When his ship entered the harbor, he knew he had found the perfect location for the “gift”.
The statue of Liberty replaced an old fortress, Fort Wood, which was located on Bedloe’s Island.
The Statue of Liberty’s fingernails are about 13 by 10 inches.
There are 31 tons of copper in the Statue of Liberty.*
The Statue of Liberty’s original torch was the first part constructed in 1876. In 1984 it was replaced by a new copper torch covered in 24K gold leaf which is lighted by floodlight at night. The original torch is currently located in the lobby of the monument. Access to the torch has been closed since 1916.*